Our school’s educational philosophy is based on a belief that quality education takes place in a collaborative community of reflective and co-operative learners.
The children experience open ended, problem-solving, investigative and collaborative learning tasks through the Quality Teaching Framework. We also use a range of learning tools, such as Multiple Intelligences, Blooms Taxonomy, De Bono’s Thinking Hats and Kagan Co-operative Learning approaches, that challenge them to reflect on and extend their learning.
At St Madeleine's, we believe that we are:
- united by Gospel values
- celebrating our gifts and differences
- a partnership of home, school and parish
- reflecting on our learning
- forming a collaborative learning community
- enabling the freedom to explore
- co-operating to achieve
The school is structured in year groups to effectively provide for the different learning needs and styles of each child. Students, staff and parents interact and learn with each other as members of a learning team.
Our Catholic faith lights the way as we guide your child’s learning journey. We are led by love, compassion and respect for all. We walk with Jesus and with those in need, both at school and in the community. Together in Christ, we will change the world.
We see the good in each child. Every child deserves to be safe, known and cared for. Every child can learn lots, grow as a person and be happy.
Here’s what we think about learning
Let’s work together
Every child’s learning journey begins at home. We’ll work with you to make sure that your child is on track at school too. This means getting to know your child well, especially what gets him or her excited about learning.
Like you, we understand that great teachers make a real difference in a child’s life. That’s why we’ll make sure that your child’s teachers are skilled up and supported by an effective Principal with a passion for learning and caring.
Our approach to teaching
Our approach to learning includes the following key principles:
- We promote educational and personal excellence in our students as they grow as whole persons, attending to their intellectual, spiritual, physical, aesthetical and emotional development.
- We believe that quality education enriches and empowers the individual to move towards broader lifestyle choices and enables them to utilise their God given gifts for the good of the community.
- We believe that children need to look to the future with hope, aware of God's loving guidance in their lives.
- We base our educational practice on the sound educational research of the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) Key Learning Areas.
- We use flexible, innovative and creative teaching practices, which cater for students' differing learning styles and needs.
- We view technology as an essential tool to assist learning in all areas.
- We encourage a sense of responsibility and justice in the students, thereby promoting positive relationships between students, initating outreach programs to encourage a sense of global responsibility for the less fortunate.
We believe that learning is a continuous process and a lifelong journey
Our teaching is up-to-date
Our children’s adult lives will be very different from our own. Technology is changing everything including the way they will work. To prepare them for whatever that future holds, our school has had to change and will need to keep changing.
Learning today is so much more than facts and figures. Information will be coming at them from everywhere so they need to learn to make sense of it all and the world around them. We’re focused on developing strengths that students need now and in the future - communication, collaboration, creativity, critical thinking, and so much more.
- We’ll work with your child to find out what interests him or her and show them ways to learn more.
- We’ll use real world problems to show how the skills we learn at school are relevant for life.
- We’ll work closely with your child as she or he learns to take responsibility for learning too.
It’s a great start to a lifelong learning journey. And our teachers are lifelong learners too!
This is how we do it
So much more is being asked of teachers today. Not only will teachers get to know your child’s needs, they’ll change their teaching approaches to meet them where they’re at. This means teachers need to be ready to share skills with students, help students plan their learning, track how each student is progressing, and respond with extra support as needed. After all, learning how to learn is even more important than what we learn.
We’re supporting your child’s learningOur school is a place where curiosity, imagination and love of learning are treasured. We know schools should be places of wonder, exploration and endless possibilities. Our school is full of great teachers working together to meet your child’s needs in spaces that are designed for up-to-date learning. There are places for students to work together and for working independently. They are places where the latest technology supports your child’s learning.
We’ll make this work for you and your child
Every child is different and so is his or her learning journey. Teamwork between our school and families, expert staff, state-of-the-art technology, well-designed facilities, and a can-do attitude help us to meet your child’s needs better. Our school is a community of learners, thinkers and achievers. It is a safe place for each child to belong, make friends and be cared for.
Let’s keep talking!
We’ll take every opportunity to talk with you about your child’s learning. The best learning happens when there’s a strong partnership between home and school. We know you want to know how the learning works, and we’ll keep you updated when it’s working well for your child and when it’s not. After all, we’re all in this together.